My husband and I have really enjoyed cooking together this Summer. The key word there is "TOGETHER" as in the past we have struggled some to co-exist in the kitchen. We both love cooking and eating together, but have different habits and ways of doing things. We have come up with a new system. We split the recipe into 2 equal parts and each take responsibility over one. It's working great for us since we both get to contribute to the meal and neither of us have to spend as much time in the kitchen each day. Best part is enjoying the fruits of our labor together!
Here's a recent new recipe we joined forces to create and both loved! We are keeping this one in the mix, especially for warm summer nights!
Black Bean Burgers
- 1 can Black Beans (low sodium and rinsed - I recommend Eden Organics brand)
- 1 egg
- ½ Tbsp cumin
- ¼ tsp red pepper flakes
- ½ Tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup panko break crumbs
- 4 sprigs cilantro
- ½ yellow onion
- ½ red onion
- 4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 tomato
- ½ avocadp
- 2 whole grain hamburger buns
- sea salt
1. Rinse and mash ⅔ of the beans with a potato masher until smooth.
2. In another bowl whisk egg, olive oil, ½ tsp salt, cumin and red pepper flakes. Add panko bread crumbs.
3. Dice the bell pepper and peel and chop the yellow onion.
4. Lightly mix mashed beans, the rest of the whole beans, bell pepper, yellow onion, and cilantro with the egg and spice mix.
5. Form into 4 burgers and fry in skillet in olive oil.
6. Peel and slice the red onion and the avocado. Then slice the tomatoes and divide the lettuce into leaves.
7. Toast the buns and top with burgers, red onion, tomatoes, lettuce and avocado.