This simple and healthy Chicken & Rice Soup recipe was shared with me from my beautiful soul of a friend and fellow Yoga Teacher, Alicia Montoya from Los Angeles. It's one of her family's favorites and now it is one of mine. Sometimes nothing else does the trick to make you feel better on a cold or sniffly day that slurping up some wholesome goodness.
- 1 (2-lb) cooked rotisserie chicken (organic if possible)
- 3 celery ribs
- 1 medium onion, quartered and left unpeeled
- 6 fresh parsley sprigs plus 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 2 fresh thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 10 cups low-sodium chicken broth (80 fl oz)
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 cup long-grain brown rice, rinsed
1. Remove meat from chicken, reserving skin and bones.
2. Coarsely chop 1 celery rib and put in a 6-8 quart pot along with chicken bones and skin, onion, parsley sprigs, thyme sprigs, bay leaf, and chicken broth.
3. Simmer, partially covered, 1 hour.
4. While broth is simmering, shred about half of chicken meat into 1-inch-long pieces (about 1/4 inch thick) to yield 1 1/2 cups meat, reserving remaining meat for another use.
5. Cut remaining 2 celery ribs into 1/4-inch dice.
6. Pour chicken broth through a fine-mesh sieve into a large bowl, pressing hard on solids with back of a ladle and then discarding them. Skim fat from surface of broth.
7. Return strained broth to pot, then add carrots, diced celery, and rice and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender and rice is very soft, about 30 minutes.
8. Stir in shredded chicken and chopped parsley.
Serve hot and enjoy! Can be frozen in air-tight container.