When I first tried this recipe, I was skeptical about how good an asparagus soup could be. It didn't sound overly appealing, but when I saw how simple this particular recipe was, I thought I would give it a go. Turns out I loved it!
I was very surprised with how much flavor it had with so few ingredients. I made it many times last year and have been waiting for asparagus to come back into season this year so I could enjoy it again. I finally found some beautiful fresh Spring stalks in the market last week and whipped up a batch and had delicious lunches for days.
This vibrant soup is smooth and creamy with a hint of sweetness from the soaked cashews and a zing of fresh lemon. Another win in the world of healthy soul food! High in antioxidants, asparagus is a good source of fiber and folate. It helps detoxify the body and protect against illness and aging.
Cream Of Asparagus Soup
- 2 pounds green asparagus
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- ½ cup raw cashews, soaked in warm water for 1 hour
- ¼ teaspoon fresh lemon juice, or to taste
- Sea salt & black pepper
1. Cut asparagus into ½-inch pieces.
2. In a large pot, heat oil over medium-low heat, and cook the onion for a few minutes, until softened.
3. Add asparagus pieces and salt and pepper to taste, then cook, stirring, 5 minutes. Add broth and simmer, covered, until asparagus is very tender, 15 to 20 minutes.
4. Add cashews and purée soup using an immersion blender or in batches in a blender until smooth. Beware of hot steam!
5. Season with lemon juice, and salt and pepper.
I hope you enjoy!