We’re moving quickly into the holiday season, which means before we know it, we’ll be surrounded by trays of cookies shaped as reindeers and endless carb-filled dishes. The good news is there are lots of healthy alternatives to classic dishes that we all know and love. Get ahead of those holiday food temptations by adding more good stuff in! This delicious spaghetti squash and turkey bolognese recipe is one of my favorite comfort meals to make this time of year because it’s warm, hearty and has a delightfully unique flavor.
There is great nutritional value to spaghetti squash, which makes it a perfect substitute for pasta without giving up taste. Spaghetti squash is a star vegetable because it is packed with fiber, vitamins and potassium in each serving. You get a lot more out of it than regular pasta which is filled with empty calories. The mild flavor and slight sweetness of spaghetti squash make a perfect pairing with the rich flavor of the turkey Bolognese sauce.
Spaghetti Squash Turkey Bolognese Recipe
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 stalks celery, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1lb ground turkey
- 2 Tbsp grass-fed butter
- 2/3 cup full fat unsweetened coconut milk
- 4.5oz tomato paste
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees and cover large baking sheet with parchment paper or tin foil.
2. Cut the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds and pulp with large spoon. Sprinkle with sea salt and pepper.
3. Place squash cut side down on the baking sheet. Roast in oven until the squash is tender, but not mushy, about 40mins.
4. Place the baking sheet on a cooling rack, and using a hot mitt, turn the squash cut side up to cool. When it’s cool enough to handle, scrape the inside with a fork to shred the squash into spaghetti strands.
5. While the squash bakes, in a large skillet over medium heat, melt the butter and sauté the onions, carrots and celery until onions become translucent. Add the garlic and cook for an additional minute.
6. Add the ground turkey and cook until browned through.
7. Once the meat is cooked, add the coconut milk and tomato paste and simmer on low heat for about 15mins or until sauce is well combined.
8. Add sea salt and pepper to taste before removing from heat. Serve over spaghetti squash.
QUICK TIP: Purchase mirepoix (a pre-chopped carrots, onions, celery mix) to eliminate chopping and save prep time!